Surgeons in Switzerland

amadeusmalick
Year of birth: 1985

Two doctors

Post by amadeusmalick » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi,

Sorry to disturb you. I’m from Switzerland and I have an acoustic neuroma 2.2 X 2.5 X 2.7 , already compressing the brainstem. I have to decide wether to go to Dr. A. Sepehrnia in Klinik St-Anna Luzern for my operation, or Dr Andreas Rabe in Inselspital Bern.
Dr. Sepehrnia is using the semi-sitting position, and Dr. Raabe is using the lying position with the head on the side. Dr Sepehrnia said he can take almost certainly all the tumor, and if he sees that the facial nerve is too damaged, he will implant a nerve from my feet.

Dr. Raabe on the other hand, said that he will see if total resection is possible, if not (because of the facial nerve) he will let a piece behind that I can treat later if the tutor regrowth with gamma knife. His goal is first the facial nerve and then the total resection, and for Dr. Sepehrnia it’s the other way around.

I know the risks are greater with the semi sitting position , and I’m very sceptical about any form of radio surgery, because of the long term outcomes that can include malignancy (even if I’ve seen the literature, and it’s a low percentage of chances). I’m quite desperate, because the two doctors are saying everything differently than the other one.
For me, I would like to take it all, because I don’t wanna go to radio surgery afterwards, but the semi sitting position has a lot of greater risks of complications.

Can you please tell me which position is usually used ? Are my concerns for the semi sitting position right or eggerated? And should my main goal be total resection or preserving the facial nerve?

It will really help me if you answer, because I cannot find any third party that can answer me.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards.

Igor

PS: If someone can translate my message in german and post it on the german forum, it would really help me. I'm in the english forum because I'm from the french part of Switzerland and do not speak german. Thanks.

PS2: I do not know how to create a signature...?
:evil: :mrgreen: :geek:
Subri
Year of birth: 1955

Re: Two doctors

Post by Subri » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:07 am

Dear amadeusmalick,

First of all, thank you for your post. It is normal, that you want to find the best surgeon and way for you to be sure, that you did decide for the right one. Because we are an independent organisation with the priority to give the people the possibility in the forum to help eachother by themselves, we can not give recommendations for physicians.

Your post was translated to the german forum. As we are informed, you could already talk to Prof. Sepehrnia again and clear your questions. We would be very happy, if you could tell us, who and how you decided for and tell us how you feel after the surgery.

It is an enrichment for other members in the forum then, to have such important informations and you might help others to find the right way too.

Because of your signature, please go to your private profile (button on the right side / up this page in the forum) in there you will find the profile - edith signature.

Also to find your posts and have no differences, please use always just your forum member name (amadeusmalick) in your posts (not Igor).

We wish you all the best and hope to hear from you, that everything went like you have expected.
:) SUBRI IGAN forum Moderator and post resection of left acoustic neuroma with permanent deafness left ear