Surgeons near Bristol

gfstiftung

Surgeons near Bristol

Post by gfstiftung » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:30 am

We got a mail with following question (we posted the conversation for you):
My partner is soon to be referred to a surgeon to have his Acoustic Neuroma removed.
WE live in Bath, somerset, near Bristol. Can you recommend a surgeon /hospital near us which is very good please?
gfstiftung, IGAN Administrator
gfstiftung

Re: Surgeons near Bristol

Post by gfstiftung » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:31 am

Many thanks for ask for a surgeon in UK. We spoke to our surgeon in Lucerne-Switzerland. He could tell us, that Prof . Michael Gleeson (HNO) und Alan Crockerd (Neurosurgeon) are in the UK. But Mr. Crocked might have retired already.
Here the link to Mr Gleeson:
http://hearinguk.org/who-we-are/our-tru ... l-gleeson/
gfstiftung, IGAN Administrator
Subri
Year of birth: 1955

Re: Surgeons near Bristol

Post by Subri » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Hello,
As I am based in the USA I do not have a specific name of a skull-based surgeon or neurologist. However, I think it is important for you to be willing to travel to a hospital where this surgery is routinely performed. I do understand that your NHS insurance must be willing to allow you to travel. I found that Cambridge University Hospital performs many! Would you be able to obtain a consultation with them? Make sure to ask how many procedures they perform, if the facial nerve is monitored throughout surgery, and what their recurrence rates are like. Ask they percent of the time the facial nerve is preserved using ANY of the surgical techniques (translab/middle fossa/retrosigmoid).
Keep in mind you will need to consult with the skull-based surgeon and a neurosurgeon.
Here is their website: https://www.cuh.nhs.uk/neurosciences/wh ... se-surgery

I hope this helps!!
:) SUBRI IGAN forum Moderator and post resection of left acoustic neuroma with permanent deafness left ear